Does fried okra make anyone else think of Sunday dinners at Granny’s house? Usually even someone who’s usually too picky for vegetables will eat them if you coat them in breading. This Southern soul food favorite is made a little healthier by preparing it in the oven. Make sure you use high quality ingredients, and even comfort foods like this will provide you with the nutrition you need to live your busy life.
- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Yellow Cornmeal
- 3/4 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill Sea Salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. Simply Organic Black Pepper
- Dash of Simply Organic Cayenne
- 1/2 cup So Delicious Almond Milk or dairy milk
- 1 large Noah’s Organics Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb. fresh okra pods, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch slices (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp. Nutiva Coconut Oil
- While the oven is preheating to 400 degrees, rub a baking pan with the 1 tsp. of coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and red pepper, then set it aside.
- Whisk together the milk and egg in another large bowl. Toss the okra around in the bowl until it is well coated. Leave the okra in this mixture for 3 min.
- Pick up the okra by small handfuls and toss it around in the cornmeal mixture. Arrange the okra in a single layer on the baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 min, stirring halfway through the cooking time. You’ll know it’s done when the okra pokes tender with a fork and the breading is golden brown. After removing the okra from the oven, sprinkle it with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt before serving.