PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 1 hour
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 10 mins
These gooey, sweet, and perfectly chewy Almond Butter and Jelly Cookie Bars are a great treat to have around for a heathy snack or dessert. They’re paleo, vegan, gluten-free, easy to make and total comfort food!
For the cookie crust and crumble top
- ¾ cup Justin’s® creamy almond butter
- 3 tbsp Spring Tree® pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp Nutiva® coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp Flavorganics® vanilla extract
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill® blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill® coconut flour
- ¼ tsp Bob’s Red Mill® baking soda
- (1/8 tsp Bob’s Red Mill® salt and tbsp extra maple syrup if you’re using unsweetened/unsalted almond butter)
For the Jelly* –
- 3 cups Cascadian Farms® organic frozen strawberries thawed
- ½ cup Spring Tree® pure maple syrup
- Topping – 2-3 extra tbsp Justin’s® almond butter
To Make the Jelly
- Place strawberries and maple syrup in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to avoid burning the maple syrup. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook 20-30 more minutes, stirring and scraping occasionally to prevent burning. Allow the jelly to cool and thicken in the refrigerator while you prepare the crust/topping.
To Make the Crust
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8″ metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the almond butter, 3 tbsp maple syrup, vanilla, and the coconut oil until smooth. Stir in the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking soda until a thick crumbly dough forms
- Press ¾ of the dough into the prepared baking dish lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes, then remove from oven.
To finish the bars:
- Spread 1 cup of the jelly* over the partially baked crust starting in the middle and working your way out. Crumble the remaining chilled dough over the top evenly.
- Drizzle 2-3 more Tbsp of almond butter over the top as desired, then bake in the preheated oven for 25 more minutes until center is bubbling and top is turning light brown.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares – you can chill in the fridge to speed up the cooling time – the longer the bars are left to cool the easier they will be to cut into neat squares.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to one week. Enjoy!
*This makes about 1.5 cups of jelly but you’ll use 1 cup only for the recipe