You may be wondering what benefits a hair mask has. We all experience damage to our hair whether it be from the sun or self induced from styling. Our regular conditioner just sits on the surface of the hair briefly. It can’t get to the cuticle, which is where the benefits occur. And if you are concerned about existing split ends, a hair mask treatment can make a difference. A haircut is part of the solution, but regular treatment can help those split ends retain moisture and be less noticeable.
To make this DIY hair mask, it is easiest if you use a blender, though you can use a bowl and whisk. Start by placing the hair benefiting coconut oil and avocado in the blender. For curly hair, you may want to try the olive oil per the ingredients list below. Double the recipe if you have really long hair.
- 2 tablespoons Nutiva® coconut oil (optional: 1 tablespoon Newman’s Own® olive oil and 1 tablespoon coconut oil)
- ½ ripe avocado
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon raw C & J Farms® honey
- 5–10 drops Aetos® rosemary essential oil
- 5–10 drops Aetos® lavender essential oil
- Place coconut oil and avocado in the blender. (For curly hair, you may want to try the olive oil per the ingredients list above.)
- If you are using the whisk method, you will need to soften the coconut oil first by slightly heating it.
- Add the eggs and honey and blend.
- Add the rosemary and lavender oils and blend.
- To apply, dampen your hair, then apply the mask evenly throughout, making sure to cover all of the hair, especially the ends.
- Once you have applied it, cover the hair with a shower cap or towels so that you do not get it on your clothes. (If you have long hair, tie it up first, then cover it.)
- Allow the mask sit for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Wash out the mask with all-natural shampoo and conditioner.
- For best results, try applying this mask once a week.