This homemade vapor rub recipe works really well and doesn’t contain any harmful preservatives or chemicals. Traditional chest and vapor rubs contain petroleum jelly, and petroleum jelly contains a chemical called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons which can cause respiratory irritation and if used too often breast cancer.
So why use the traditional vapor rub when it’s going to cause even bigger problems?
The essential oils in this homemade vapor rub deliver a soothing feeling and give off an aroma that helps open up the respiratory system and make breathing easier.
- ¼ cup Newman’s Own® olive oil
- ½ cup Nutiva® organic virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup grated bees wax (optional)
- 20 drops Aetos or Aura Cacia® peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops Aetos or Aura Cacia® eucalyptus essential oil (use tea tree oil for children under 10)
- Metal tin or glass jar
- Pour the olive oil, coconut oil and beeswax into a jar.
- Place a saucepan with 2 inches of water over medium low heat.
- Place jar in saucepan and allow oils to melt. Stir to combine.
- Once combined, add in essential oils.
- Pour mixture into metal tins or glass jars and allow to set.
We have the ingredients you need to make your vapor rub here at All Is Well.