Turmeric is the dried and ground rhizome of a plant in the ginger family. It has been used and valued for its color and flavor in cooking around the world. Modern medicine is beginning to acknowledge its many health benefits as a result of the curcuminoids it contains. The most common curcuminoid is curcumin and is widely available in supplement form. Turmeric is only around three percent curcumin, so supplements with higher concentrations are normally used.
Turmeric’s many benefits include the following:
- Fighting inflammation
- Antioxidant properties
- Protection of the heart
- Helpful for arthritis
- Brain boosting
- May be helpful in fighting diabetes and cancer
- Immune function
- Detoxing the liver
There are many supplements on the market. Here at All is Well we have turmeric supplements that are 95% curcuminoids. We have turmeric on it’s own and a supplement that contains turmeric, boswellia, and devil’s claw, all of which are great for pain and inflammation.
You may have heard of golden milk. If you don’t want to take a turmeric supplement, this is a great option for a delicious, soothing tea.
- 2 cups of milk of choice (almond, coconut, or pastured dairy)
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw local honey or Spring Tree® maple syrup to taste
- Pinch of black pepper (increases absorption)
- Tiny piece of fresh, peeled ginger root or ¼ tsp Simply Organic® ground ginger
- First, blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Then, Pour into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Drink immediately