We know everybody just needs a little chocolate sometimes, or maybe a lot of chocolate. When you pick up a quick candy bar from a gas station, it is mostly sugar and corn syrup with a small amount of chocolate for flavoring. Such low quality ingredients are far less satisfying and healthy than real chocolate with high quality ingredients. Chocolate naturally contains magnesium and two kinds of flavonoids that encourage good circulation, regulate blood pressure, and lower risk of heart attack and stroke. Plus, they aid your skin in repairing UV damage and reduce levels of stress hormones like cortisol. Yes, chocolate actually does make you feel better when you’re upset. But you have to be sure you’re making wise chocolaty choices to enjoy the benefits as well as the taste of chocolate. Try to choose dark chocolate with around 70% cacao for high flavonoid content and avoid low quality candies with sugar or milk as the first ingredient. Around an ounce a day in the afternoon or as a dessert is enough to satisfy you and improve your health if it’s the real deal. So that you won’t have to wonder where to find this mythical healthy chocolate, here’s a list of some low guilt, big yum options for your next chocolate fix.
- Theobroma Organic 80% Cacao Dark Chocolate, and 75% Almond Cranberry, Coconut Almond, and Almonds with Apples and Cinnamon
- Attune Probiotic Chocolate Crunch Bars
- Califia Almond Milk Coco Noir Iced Coffee
- Chocolove Chocolate Bars in 70% Cacao Strong Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate Toffee Almond, and Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt and Almonds
- Newman’s Own Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter and Peppermint Cups
- Glutino Gluten Free Chocolate Covered Vanilla Wafer Cookies
- Endangered Species Almond Butter Crème and Lavender Mint Crème Filled Chocolate Bars